You are here: Home >> About Us

About Us

It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to Priory Primary


The school is located on the Priory in Dudley, West Midlands and currently caters for just over 700 pupils between the ages of 2 and 11, making it one of the largest schools in the borough. Priory Primary School is one of a number of schools in the Hales Valley Academy Trust. Our trust is an all-primary trust and we joined in December 2017. We are happy to be part of a team that ensures 'Success for all' through collaboration and sharing best practice.

Priory Primary School is a primary school located on the Priory Estate in Dudley, West Midlands, England. It includes a nursery unit, Time for Two's and is open to pupils aged from 2 to 11 years.

It was opened on 1 October 1930 as a temporary 5-7 infant school in Priory Hall, relocating on 19 October 1932 to the permanent site on Limes Road, to serve the surrounding Priory Estate, which was in the early stages of development at this time. Lady Astor opened a nursery unit on 8 March 1938, the first of its kind in the Dudley area, with most local schools not following suit until the 1970s and some still lacking such facilities to this day. The junior school, opened later in 1938, was the final phase.

In September 1972, the infant school became a 5-8 first school and the junior school became an 8-12 middle school. The two schools merged to form a single primary school in September 1985, with the first and middle departments reverting to infant and junior from September 1990 when the secondary transfer age was reverted to 11.

The nursery unit was replaced in the early 1990s and the old building demolished to make way for a development of new private starter homes. The current nursery building also incorporates a children's centre.

The school is most famous for being the former school of the late Duncan Edwards, the former Manchester United and England footballer. He attended the school from 1941 to 1948, and died aged 21 as a result of the Munich air disaster in 1958.